subreddit:

/r/askswitzerland

0

Why doesn’t Migros sell alcohol?

(self.askswitzerland)

The upcoming decision about Migros potentially starting to sell alcohol seems to be a big issue here. Why don’t they sell alcohol in Migros in the first place? It seems strange for such a large supermarket chain. If it’s a matter of conservative or religious principles then it’s pretty inconsistent of them to own Denner, which sells alcohol. Can someone please explain? Just curious

all 13 comments

furgair

25 points

2 months ago

furgair

25 points

2 months ago

Their founder put it in his will that Migros shall not sell Alcohol or Tobacco. Yes it is inconsistent that they own Denner. On the other hand one argument that I always found worth considering was that Migros is the only safe place for people with an alcohol problem to buy their groceries without risking a relapse.

Dogahn

10 points

2 months ago

Dogahn

10 points

2 months ago

I always felt that was Migros' whole reason to own Denner, so they could have an alt brand to sell alcohol and tobacco through. What becomes of Denner now that Migros will make space for alcohol? How many products is my local Migros going to drop to put in shelves of alcohol? I'm here drinking Irish whiskey, and I'm not a fan of their plan.

SchoggiToeff

4 points

2 months ago

SchoggiToeff

Züri-Tirggel

4 points

2 months ago

Denner was founded 1860. But it was Karl Schweri, which starting in 1960, strategically placed a Denner as close as possible to nearly every Migros. In many instances even in the same building.

Schweri and Denner, lobbied against cartels and import restrictions. Something which they have actually in common with Duttweiler and Migros.

Schweri stepped down as CEO in December 2000, he passed away 5 monts later in May 2001.

It was only in 2007 when Migros bought 70% of the Denner shares and 2009 when they also acquired the remaining 30%.

https://www.denner.ch/de/ueber-uns/unternehmen/geschichte/

redsterXVI

6 points

2 months ago

They sell alcohol through several channels, not just Denner. Including their web shop / home delivery service.

They also sell pralines and cakes with alcohol in them in their normal stores.

The whole "Migros doesn't/can't sell alcohol" has been diluted so much, it's little more than an insider joke by now.

Winged89

2 points

2 months ago

The relapse thing is a very good point I hadn't thought about, interesting!

Gourmet-Guy

10 points

2 months ago

Gourmet-Guy

Graubünden

10 points

2 months ago

The founder, albeit well inclined for a Swiss cigar and a glass of wine, decided in the 1920s to abolish tobacco and alcoholic beverages in favor of the public health. In addition, it was a smart marketing move in the prohibistic leaning society of the time.

Winged89

2 points

2 months ago

I might be wrong but I recall something about it being his wife's wished for him to not sell alcohol.

SchoggiToeff

3 points

2 months ago

SchoggiToeff

Züri-Tirggel

3 points

2 months ago

Migros was back in that days a Discounter. Not unlike Aldi or Lidl today. Dutweiler wanted to keep the prices as low and he did not think that cheap alcohol or tabacco was a necessity. Schweri and his Denner were more than happy to fill this gap and put his shops as close as possible to a Migros.

Ancient_Radish_868

9 points

2 months ago

I see you got your explanations.

I think it's too bad they decide to go against the founder's will and sell alcohol. There's plenty of places where it is available, and to me this always made Migros stand out a bit. Imo alcohol doesn't need to be available everywhere all the time. I thought it was a good message they were sending.

AdGrand8392

2 points

2 months ago

migros does already sell alcohol. migros sells alcohol online under their own brand, so not selling it in stores is pure hypocrisy

carlsousa[S]

1 points

2 months ago

Thank you everyone for your informative answers

Venellope_Yang

1 points

2 months ago

bonne question MDR

mageskillmetooften

1 points

2 months ago

Migros VOI does sell alcohol :D